Come to an online Workshop or FedTalk
Here’s the current list – the ones marked “NEW!” have been added recently. Click on the links below to find out more and to register. We are still adding more events, so the latest and correct list will always be at: www.morrisfed.org.uk/events/. Also posted on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/MorrisFed.org.uk.
- Workshop – Cotswold Morris – Ducklington Jig – Sun 14th Nov 12:00-14:00 – Learn the ‘Nutting Girl’ Jig in the style of Ducklington, taught by the Knights of King Ina NEW!
- Talk – ‘A History of Mumming’ – Stephen Rowley – Sun 14th Nov 17:00-18:30 – Hear a rich and colourful story of traditions with threads extending far beyond the shores of Britain.
- Talk – “Coconut Dancing – more than just a Lancashire tradition” – Peter Bearon – Sat 4th Dec 16:00-17:30 – Comparing the coconut dance tradition in the Rossendale Valley, Lancashire, with that of Els Moretons in Manacor, Mallorca, potentially originating in the 1850s.
- Talk – Morris Dolls in the Museum of British Folklore – Simon Costin – Sat 11th Dec 16:00-17:30 – Find out about the UK’s first ever museum dedicated to our seasonal customs and events, and what happened to the Morris Dolls you dressed and sent in.
- Talk – “Straw Bear – 40 Years of Straw & String” – Brian Kell – Sun 12th Dec 16:00-17:30 – The history of the Whittlesea Straw Bear festival from the past to the present, along with the changes which have occurred throughout the years of the revival.
How to access an event
Register for an event, and a couple of days before we’ll email you a Zoom link to access it. Don’t worry if you’ve not used Zoom before, we’ll send you some hints & tips, and you can connect a bit earlier for us to talk it through.
We are recording some of the events, which will appear on the MF YouTube channel when they have been processed.
For more events see: MF Events
Online events from other orgs
- EFDSS What’s On:
- EFDSS Conference ‘Diversity in Folk’ on Sat 13th Nov (online or in person in London)
- Historical Dance Society: An Assembly for Jane Austen on Sat 27th – Sun 28th Nov (online)
- Folk on Foot on Film – interviews on video (also on Podcast)
- The Folk Forecast – weekly what’s on summary
Dancing Diary Dates
- Saturday 26th March 2022 in Derby – DERT (Dancing England Rapper Tournament) see the DERT facebook site
- Saturday 9th April 2022 in Liverpool – the JMO National Day of Dance – dancing in the centre of Liverpool, hosted by the Morris Ring in the North West. It’s open to all members of the Morris Federation, Morris Ring and Open Morris. MF teams/sides can book a place by emailing email@example.com. If any individuals are available to help Marshall for half the day or the whole day, then please let us know and we’ll pass your details on to the organisers.
- Saturday 24th September 2022 in Darlington – the MF Day of Dance and AGM hosted by Black Diamond Mixed Cotswold Morris. Save the date for now.
- Saturday 23rd September 2023 in Shropshire – the MF Day of Dance and AGM hosted by Shropshire Bedlams and Martha Rhoden’s Tuppenny Dish. Save the date for now.
Recordings of past MF online events (ICYMI)
In case you missed it, recordings of our online Talks and Workshops during Winter/Spring 2020-2021 are on the MF YouTube Channel – ‘subscribe’ to be notified of any new videos.