If you fancy meeting a Giant, soaking up some morris history, or having a go at a new dance or dance style, we may just have something for you. And due to popular demand, we have added more Cotswold workshops.
Come along to our events (LIVE on Zoom)
Here’s the current list – the ones marked “NEW!” have been added recently. Click on the links below to find out more and to register. We are still adding more events, so the latest and correct list will always be at: www.morrisfed.org.uk/events/. Also posted on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/MorrisFed.org.uk.
- Talk – Morris from the Archives – Jameson Wooders – Sat 30th Jan 16:00-17:30. Come with us for a trawl through the archives to find some of the people who performed and witnessed the morris between the 15th-19th Centuries.
- Workshop – North West – Lockdown (dance for 4) – Chinewrde Morris – Sun 31st Jan 11:00-12:30. Learn a 4-person socially distanced dance developed during lockdown. You don’t need to be an experienced north west dancer.
- Workshop – Virtual Ceilidh Calling Masterclass – Sat 6th Feb 15:00-17:30. Hone your skills for the new normal – the Zoom Ceilidh! Plenty of time for Q&A with Fee Lock & Martyn Harvey.
- Talk – Septimus The Giant Shrewsbury Cobbler – Sun 7th Feb 15:00-16:00. Meet Septimus the Giant and find out how the puppet of a cobbler came from an idea into being made for Shrewsbury Morris.
- 2 Workshops – Appalachian Clogging Basics – Sat 13th & Sat 20th Feb. Level 1 14:00-15:00, Level 2 15:30-16:30. All the way from the USA – find out how appalachian dance moves are done over there. Level 1 is suitable for complete beginners. Hard soled shoes required (not clogs).
- Talk – Shrewsbury Morris on twitter – Sun 21st Feb 15:00-16:00. Find out how they got over 100,000 twitter followers (no that’s not a typo) and pick up some tips on using twitter for your own team.
- Workshop – Cotswold – Bledington Jig – Sun 28th Feb 14:00-15:30. A chance to learn ‘Lumps of Plum Pudding’ in the style of Bledington. NEW!
- Talk – Morris Music – a history – Taborers Society – Sat 6th March 17:00-18:30. Stephen Rowley on the history of morris music, then how to obtain tabor pipes for anyone wanting to learn.
- 2 Workshops – Clog Stepping for Intermediate – Melanie Barber – Sun 7th & 14th March 11:00-12:30 Learn the Whitby Toesday Waltz for Intermediates, comprising ten steps. Need a good knowledge of how to do shuffles, swanees and crunches. NEW!
- Talk – Sussex Bonfires – Keith Leech – Sun 7th March 16:00-17:30 A talk about the huge Guy Fawkes Night celebrations with fires, parades and festivals.
- Workshop – Pipe and Tabor for beginners – Taborers Society – Sat 20th March 17:00-18:30. Learn to play Shepherds’ Hey Bucknell with Andy Richards.
- Talk & Workshop – Kirtlington Morris Sun 21st March 14:00-16:00 The Kirtlington tradition – a brief history and introduction to the dances. Talks and a practical workshop. NEW!
- Workshop – Cotswold – 2 Ilmington Jigs – Sun 28th March 14:00-15:30. Come along to learn ‘Nelson’s Praise’ and ‘Jockey to the Fair’ in the style of Ilmington. NEW!
- Talk – Good Morning, Lords and Ladies – Gill & Barry Goodman – Sun 11th April 16:00-17:30. The magic, mystery & madness of English traditional customs in story, song & visual images.
- Talk – The Adderbury Morris Men – Sun 25th April 16:00-17:30. Find out about the Adderbury tradition that died out in the 19thC and what sparked its revival in 1975. NEW!
How to access an event
Register for an event, and a couple of days before we’ll email you a Zoom link to access it. Don’t worry if you’ve not used Zoom before, we’ll send you some hints & tips, and you can connect a bit earlier for us to talk it through.
We are recording some of the events, which will appear on the MF YouTube channel when they have been processed.
Hope to see you at one of our events soon!