What’s on: DERT results; booking for remaining MF talks Mar-Apr; booking for MF DoD&AGM Shropshire and JMO DoD dates; Hooden Horse and Folk Costume exhibitions Feb-June.
See the results of the Dancing England Rapper Tournament (or DERT to friends), summarised – with photos – by Tradfolk: https://tradfolk.co/performance/morris-dancing/dert-the-results/ with the amazing Tower Ravens once again at the top of their class. Prize winners were: Tower Ravens, Silver Flame, Sallyport, NYFTE, and Whip the Cat. Next DERT is 12th-14th April 2024 in Whitby.
MF Events – Online
- Talk – “The Ancient Festival of Abram, called the Morris Dance” – Peter Bearon – Sat 25th March 17:00-18:30. Image: Abram Morris 1901
- Talk – “Dalliance[s] with Dance … Clogs, Bells, Horns and Straw!” – Doc Rowe – Sun 26th March 17:00-18:30
- Talk – “More morris than you can shake a stick (or handkerchief) at” – Michael Heaney – Sun 2nd April 16:00-17:30. Image: Morris dancers in 1894 – but from where…?
MF Day of Dance
MF Day of Dance and AGM – Sat 30th September 2023 in Bishop’s Castle, Shopshire hosted by Shropshire Bedlams & Martha Rhoden’s Tuppenny Dish. Bookings open! Much more info and to book a place for all – or part – of the weekend, see: sbmrtd.org.uk/fedagm/. See also their MF AGM 2023 Facebook page
JMO Days of Dance
JMO Days of Dance – One national DoD, and several regional Days of Dance to celebrate 20 years since the first national DoD in Trafalgar Square:
- Sat 22nd April in Exeter – national DoD – bookings closed
- Sat 9th September in Derby – save the date
- Sat 16th September in Norwich – bookings open!
- Sat 23rd September in Chester – save the date
- Sat 7th October in Newcastle – bookings open! book by 31st May
- Sat 7th October in Bath – bookings open!
- Date TBC in London – probably Sat 21st or Sat 28th October
The latest and correct list of our events is at: MF Events
Events from our members
Green Dragon Border Morris write: “We will be holding our Day of Dance on Saturday 9th September in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, to celebrate our 30 year anniversary. If your side is interested to join us (any style of morris) please contact Kev on firstname.lastname@example.org“
Illustrious Order of Fools and Beasts Unconvention in Brighton on 27th-29th October 2023. All Fools and Beasts welcome. Bookings open!
Events from other organisations
up to April 2023: EFDSS – Vaughan Williams Memorial Lectures
up to 17th June 2023: Animal Guising and the Kentish Hooden Horse at Maidstone Museum: unites their two old Hooden Horses with their early surviving cousins; Morris Dancing revival horses; Northern skull horses; the Old Tup; Mari Lwyd; Obby Osses; and stag disguises. Performances on 1st April 10:00-15:30: in the museum – Whitstable Hoodeners and Dover Tales; in Fremlin Walk – Invictus Mugistis Equinus (IME) from Broadstairs Folk Festival.
up to 11th June 2023: Making Mischief: Folk Costume in Britain at Compton Verney, Warwickshire, an exhibition dedicated to the rich tapestry of folk customs found in the UK today. It will explore the central role played by costume in local and seasonal folk customs, bringing together over 40 costumes.
Launching in Spring 2023: FolkScape Live – a folk music streaming service !NEW!
EFDSS What’s On: https://www.efdss.org/whats-on
The Folk Forecast – a what’s on summary of folky events
Tradfolk – news and articles about folky things
If you wish to subscribe to Morris Federation News via email please fill out this form: Subscribe to Morris Federation News. Member contacts have a separate mailing list.