About This Document
This document gives a survey of use of Instagram by morris and related traditional dance sides, based on information provided in profiles on the Morris Federation Teamfinder service.
Summary of Findings
A survey of use of the Instagram listed by sides in the Morris Federation’s Teamfinder service was carried out based on data collected on 13 August 20201 and updated on 1 September.
A total of 24 Instagram accounts were found, with 1 profile containing a link to tagged posts provided by others.
A summary of the findings for accounts which have posted over 250 followers is given below.
|Team Instagram Account||No. of |
|No. of posts|
|Hat Pin Crisis||572||68|
|Sheffield Steel Rapper||423||38|
|Dr Turberville’s Morris||396||407|
|Glastonbury Border Morris Dancers||286||19|
|Belles of London City||258||23|
Based on the Instagram accounts listed above:
- The Boss Morris account shows that popular Instagram accounts do not have to host conventional photographs and videos of morris dances! Visit the site and check for yourself!
- The Shrewsbury Morris account hosts a variety of types of photographs, including dancing, people, programmes, morris ‘artefacts’, computers, etc.
- The Dr Turberville’s Morris account includes images of posters advertising their dance-outs.
- The Silver Flame account illustrates use of event stories’ (categories) such as Bath Time, DERT 2019, etc.
- The Boss Morris account illustrates use of thematic stories (categories) such as Dance outs, Practice, Boss Kit, Portraits and Film.
Viewing the Instagram accounts listed above is interesting, as it shows the quality of photographs, videos and other types of images which sides are sharing.
In light of the quality of photographs and videos which can now be taken using smart phones, the use of photographic and video sharing services such as Instagram can provide a effective way of raising your side’s profile – and also potentially provide a channel for creative members of your side who may be inspired by the ways sides are using Instagram.
Updating Your Team’s Profile on the Morris Federation’s Teamfinder
If you decide to create an Instagram channel (or if you have one which is not listed) we encourage you to add a link to the channel on your side’s profile on the Morris Federation’s Teamfinder service.
Page created: 18 Aug 2021
Last updated: 1 Sept 2021
Changes made: Updated data will details of 1 new account and new totals
Page author: Brian Kelly