- This event has passed.
Workshop – North West – Nelson Dance – Malkin Morris (LIVE on Zoom)
Sunday 10 January 2021, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Workshop – North West – Nelson Dance – Malkin Morris
Malkin Morris will teach a North West Processional Dance from Nelson, Lancashire: The Nelson Dance, as researched by Julian Pilling of Colne Royal Morris Men in 1962, from Nelson Spiritualists Church.
– This is a short, fairly active dance, and should be fully learned within the hour. It looks more complex than it is.
– Skill level: beginner/intermediate
– Equipment required: 2 sticks with bells/wooden spoons/something similar to hold
– Space: at least 2 square metres
– Tune: “The Steamboat” in G (musicians welcome, although sorry, you won’t be heard via Zoom)
(1) Brief introduction to the team history and origin of the dance research
(2) Practical session, warmup and learning the dance
(3) Q&A session. If you have a question in advance, please email: email@example.com
Malkin Morris dance and research North West processional morris, step, and tunes from around Burnley, Pendle, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley, Lancashire. They practice on Mondays in Roughlee or Barley.
Last year Malkin received a Lottery award to research, record, promote and preserve local North West morris dances, and published a booklet of over 20 dances, designed to be actively used: The Nelson Dance was found in the course of this research.
Please complete this online form: Register for the Workshop – North West – Nelson Dance – Malkin Morris; you will receive a confirmation email immediately (check your spam/junk/promotions folder!). We will send you a Zoom link a couple of days before the event. Open to all – you don’t have to be a member of a team in The Morris Federation.
If you enjoy this event, then it would be wonderful if you could send a donation, small or large, to Beat the Street (Bury, Lancashire), feeding the homeless in Bury every Friday, Sunday & Monday night. Info on how to donate (via bank transfer) will be available at the event.
After the workshop Malkin Morris kindly donated these resources to our Notation Library: The Nelson Dance Notation (PDF), The Nelson Fours figure (PPT), and The Steamboat audio (MP3)