Close this search box.

Performing Right Society

Morris Dancing and the Performing Rights Act

From 1996 to 2001, discussions were held with both EFDSS and the PRS (Performing Right Society).


PRS for Music is a society of songwriters, composers and music publishers. A PRS license is needed by any premises that houses music events, be they live or recorded music, dance or song or just a television.  It is the building which is licensed and this requirement is irrespective of whether the music is in or out of copyright. It is the responsibility of the venue to deal with this.

If you are performing out of doors with live music you should not need a license.


PPL represents performers and record companies. If using recorded music then a PPL license is needed.

Both organisations ensure that the creators and performers of music are paid when their music is used in public.

In 2002, the three Morris organisations jointly negotiated a license fee on the basis of the total numbers of registered Morris sides.

In 2018 PRS for Music and PPL joined forces to set up PPL PRS Ltd, a joint venture combining the two societies’ public performance licensing activities.  PPL PRS Ltd launched a joint licence called TheMusicLicence, to play or perform music in public.

Our licence number is 197270 and it is renewed at the end of each year.

Traditional Tunes

Many tunes which are thought to be traditional have indeed been arranged and therefore the arranger can expect some return for the use of his arrangement.  You need to be sure that the tunes used are indeed unarranged.

Further information

Further information (including FAQs) can be found on these 2 websites:

Last updated: 2020

Don't miss out

Get The Morris Federation's News

Subscribe for news about The Morris Federation and morris related activities. Available for all.